Saturday, September 25, 2010

Do I need to be Qualified?

The big question for many young tech-heads looking to make something of themselves is do I need to be qualified. High schools pump it into their heads that they must get good grades and go onto a good University to work in the computer industry. Are they right? Read on.
So, do I need to be qualified? Well, that depends on what you want to do. If your goal is to climb up the corporate ladder and become the head technician for some large school like Technibble’s friend Robert Gail, then yes, you need to be qualified.
Unfortunately, many employment agencies use official qualifications as a way to filter out candidates. If you arent qualified then they dont forward your resume onto big businesses much to the annoyance of some techies who are highly experienced, but not qualified. So if you want to get noticed, get qualified.
However, if you have your own business (or plan to start one) then that is a totally different issue. In my 6 years of having my own business I have had only about 6 people ask me what my qualifications are. People aren’t going to buy computers from you because you have a A+ or MSCE certificate. Hell, most people dont even know what they are. They are going to buy computers from you because you showed up and sold it to them.
I am sure most of you have had a “professional” come to your house and hook up your internet, install a light fitting or fix your plumbing and you never asked him what his qualifications are, its enough that he arrives on time and gets the job done properly.
What does matter much more than any qualifications when you are dealing with the public is how you look. You may be unqualified and on your first day as a freelancer but if you look the part, they will think you are a pro. I personally go to jobs with neat short hair, tightly trimmed beard (I don’t shave it totally off because I look too young), collared work shirt, work pants and dress shoes. If I combine that with my technicians bag of goodies then I really look like I know what I am doing regardless of whether I actually do or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment